Information concerning Stenungsund
From January 1st, 2009 the Swedish Transport Agency establishes regulations on pilotage in the Swedish territorial waters.
Pilotage is compulsory for the following vessels:
Category 1 vessels: All vessels.
Category 2 vessels: LOA 80m or 15m beam and over.
Category 3 vessels: LOA 90m or 16m beam and over.
For further information about compulsory pilotage, category of vessels, pilot exemption, pilot line, pilot boarding position and regulations please read further on The Swedish Transport Agency website.
Hätteberget 2NM SW Hätteberget Lt.
|Hätteberget - Stenungsund||13,5m|
|Hätteberget - Älgöfjorden||15m|
Restrictions during darkness
During darkness, ships with LOA over 200 m in the fairway are not piloted.
Arrival Hätteberget morning: 1 hour before sunrise.
Arrival Hätteberget evening: 1,5 hours before sunset.
Departure morning: 0,5 hours before sunrise.
Departure evening: 1 hour before sunset.
To Uddevalla shall two pilot´s performe pilotage under the following circumstances:
- Vessels with LOA 230m or more or with a width of 35m or more.
- Vessels with a large wind area, PCTC, with LOA 200m or more or with a width of 35m or more, two pilots are required.
These measures have been considered relevant with regard to the criteria set out in the national routine. Exceptions to these measures can be made in the event that the pilot area manager in consultation with the Nautical Council assesses vessels over this size as safe to handle with only one pilot.
Tug regulations for Stenungsund
|LOA||No. of Tugs||LOA||No. of Tugs|
|115 - 124,9m||1||115 - 134,9m||1|
|125 - 149,9m||2||> 135 m||2|
|150 - 189,9m||3||-||-|
|> 190 m||4||-||-|
- All gas vessels must be escorted by at least 1 tugboat on both arrival and departure to / from Skallen's lighthouse, regardless of equipment. The tug shall be connected and approve for escort towing.
- At harbour towage, one of the tugs must always be push-pull tug.
- Vattenfall N and PetroPort S: Vessels with draft of 10,0m and more shall use 4 tugs.
- Bow thruster with sufficient power may replace 1 tugboat (however, at least 1 tugboat must be used on gas vessels). NOTE! Loaded vessels with a length exceeding 150 m shall always be assisted by 2 tugs on departure from Havden, bow propellers do not replace any tugboat on departure from Havden.
- All tankers with LOA exceeding 130 meters must have a escort tug connected when passing the Tjörn Bridge. The escort tug must be approved for escort towing and be connected.
- Escort towing to / from Skallen's lighthouse is mandatory for tankers exceeding 15,000 DWT and for all gas and ammonia vessels. Vessels of 20,000 DWT or more that do not meet OCIMF's recommendations shall be assisted by an additional tugboat.
All tankers, with a dwt of 15,000 or more that are loaded or in ballast, shall have an escort tug connected. Vessels of 20,000 DWT or more that do not meet OCIMF's recommendations shall be assisted by an additional tugboat. Dwt refers to the vessel's dead weight at maximum summer draft.
All gas vessels, regardless of size, must be escort towed.
All loaded ammonia vessels, regardless of size, must be escort towed.
Escort towing shall take place from the passage of Skallen's lighthouse to / from the quay or inner anchorage areas. Outgoing ships are escorted to the western cardinal buoy on the Marstrandsfjord. The escort tug must be escort classified.
All tankers with LOA exceeding 130 meters must have a escort tug connected when passing the Tjörn Bridge. The escort tug must be approved for escort towing and be connected
The air draught in the fairways into Stenungsund is limited by:
Tjörn bridge located at Almösund has an vertical clearance of 43,0m at MHW.
On Älgfjorden, SW Älgön. Depth 25m, clay.
On Hakefjorden, N Älgön. Depth 50 - 25m, clay.
On Askeröfjorden at Stenungsund. Depth abt 12m, clay.
Last updated 2021-02-28